Kakinada is one of the major industrial hubs in our Andhra Pradesh, contributing to the state’s revenue from various sectors. Did you know? GMR Power Plant in Kakinada is India’s 1st & World’s largest combined cycle power plant on a single barge.
There are various large-scale industries in IT/ITEs, Oil Refineries, Fertilizers, Marine industries, Biofuel plants, Power plants and Oil & Natural Gas terminals (On-Shore & Off-Shore Operations) etc,. providing the employment opportunities for the locals as well as the foreigners. Here are the few large industries currently being operated in the City.
- Kakinada Seaports Limited (KSPL), Kakinada Fishing Harbour, NFCL, Coromandel Fertilizers, ALLIED PORT SERVICES (VEDANTA).,etc
- Petroleum Industries such as IMC terminals, HPCL, Indian Oil, Bharat Petroleum, Reliance Industries Limited KG-D6 HQ., Universal Bio Fuels LTD., ONGC etc
- Edible Oil Industries like Freedom, Ruchi Gold, Adani Wilmar, Lohiya Edibles, Acalmar, Nikhil Refineries etc,
- Power generation projects like GMR Power, Spectrum Power.,etc
- Others such as Apex Industries, Parry’s Food Processing plant and many more.
- Reputed foreign industries such as Silkroad Sugars, Halliburton, Baker Huges, Sembmarine Kakinada Limited, Drillmec Ltd, Cairn Energy Limited etc.
- In addition to this, GMR-KSIR (Formerly called Kakinada-SEZ), PCPIR – Kakinada Cluster, Coastal Corridor etc are shaping into the reality. Making our Kakinada a Gateway for investments in both public and private sector from major industrial units from round the globe.
About GMR’s Barge Mounted Power Plant:
GMR Energy Ltd. (GEL) is having the Natural Gas based power plant which produces 220 Megawatt. For this GMR Energy Ltd holds the record for India’s first and the World’s largest combined cycle power plant on a single barge at Kakinada. Here are some of the interesting facts about it:
- It is a 220 MW Gas based power plant located in Kakinada Coast.
- Operational since November 2001 and redeployed at Kakinada since April 2010. The company is exploring various commercial options for this plant.
- It is an environment-friendly natural gas-based power plant.
- India’s first and the World’s largest combined cycle power plant on a single barge.
- US technology for aero-derivative gas turbines from General Electric (GE).